Here we have two European accounts of two South and Central American cultures, the Inca and the Aztecs (Mexica). Please answer the following questions.
- 1. Why do you think de León dwells at great length on the Inca language in his report? To whom would this information be useful, and why?
- 2. Diego Durán gives us a sense of the importance that religious customs held for the Aztecs (aka Mexica). Durán, a priest, was also a man of faith, but of the Catholic persuasion. Think about the details he imparts in this account.
- A. Based on his examination of the Aztec religion, where do you think Durán saw possible ways to convert the Aztecs to Catholicism – what aspects of this European religion might appeal to the Aztecs?
- B. Relatedly, how might European intervention in Aztec religious practices fundamentally change Aztec religion and culture?
- A History of World Societies, Volume 111th Edition
- Merry E. Wiesner-Hanks; Patricia Buckley Ebrey; Roger B. Beck; Jerry Davila; Clare Haru Crowston; John …