Week 4 – Discussion
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses.
Cardiovascular and Respiratory Activity
Explain the function of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems as well as how these systems work together to meet the demands of activity. Discuss the process of gas exchange as well as coronary artery disease and chronic obstructive disease and explain how these chronic diseases can lead to dysfunction of these systems.
To complete the following activity, you will need paper, a pen, and a clock or stopwatch with a second hand. To begin, take the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q). The PAR-Q is a screening tool to determine if a person should check with his or her doctor prior to completing an exercise program. If it is determined that you should not exercise, please find an adult (18 years of age or older) family member or friend to complete the assessment for you who has been cleared to exercise through the PAR-Q assessment. You can record the results of your partner.
- Measure resting heart rate (refer to page 13 of the text on how to take a pulse). Count your respirations in 1 minute. Record results.
- If you are able to safely do so, exercise for 3 minutes (jog in place, do jumping jacks, jump rope, push-ups, sit ups, etc.)
- Immediately take your pulse for 10 seconds. Record that number. Have your partner record your respirations for 1 minute.
- Rest for 5 minutes. Take your pulse again for 10 seconds. Count your breaths again for 1 minute.
In your initial post:
- Enter the results from the heart rate activity above.
- Describe the function of the cardiovascular system and the respiratory system and how they work together.
- Describe how the cardiovascular system adjusts to meet the demands of exercise. Use appropriate terminology such as stroke volume, respirations, and pulse.
- Describe why an untrained person’s heart rate and breathing rate would take longer to return to a resting rate compared to a person who is in good physical condition.
- Explain the relationship between heart rate and breathing rate during physical activity.
- Discuss contributing factors to coronary artery disease (CAD). Explain how CAD leads to dysfunction of the cardiovascular system.
- Discuss contributing factors of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Explain how COPD leads to dysfunction of the respiratory system.
Use two scholarly sources (one may be your course text) to support your initial post. All sources must be referenced and cited according to APA guidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length.
Guided Response: Respond to two peers; one reply should relate to CAD and the other response should pertain to COPD. Please cover the following in each response: Contrast your answers pertaining to the contributing factors for CAD/COPD with those discussed by your peer. How could environmental factors contribute to CAD/COPD? Each peer response should be at least 100 words in length and supported by one scholarly source.
Carefully review the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate this Discussion Thread.