Ashford 2: – Week 1 – Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses.
Overview of Systems
In this course, the 12 systems of the human body (skeletal, muscular, integumentary, nervous, special senses, endocrine, cardiovascular, respiratory, lymphatic/immune, gastrointestinal, renal, and reproductive) are explored. For this discussion, you will choose and locate two body systems. Then, for each chosen body system you will:
- Briefly describe its major physiological functions.
- Identify the associated organs.
- Explain the relationship between normal system function and dysfunction.
- Provide one example of how dysfunction can lead to disease.
- Examine the interdependence of physiological systems in both health and disease.
- Briefly describe the importance of homeostasis as it relates to our health.
Use medical terminology and two scholarly sources to support your research and findings (one may be your course text). All sources must be referenced and cited according to APA guidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length.
Guided Response: Read several of your classmates’ posts and respond to two students who have chosen different systems. What did you already know about these systems, their functions, and organs? What research were you not aware of before studying your peers’ posts? Each peer response should be at least 100 words in length.
Carefully review the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate this Discussion Thread.