Week 4 – Assignment 1
Developing a Strong Resumé
Creating a strong resumé is a crucial component in any successful job search. Your resumé serves as your personal marketing document and your first impression to prospective employers. To create a strong resumé, you must first identify the message you want the reader to receive and determine the skills and qualifications you would like to highlight on your resumé. What you highlight, is generally based on the requirements for the position you would like to apply to.
For this assignment you will explore the components of a strong resumé, reflect on your own career goals, and assess what action steps you can take to make your resumé stronger.
- Watch the pre-recorded Creating a Winning Resumé webinar to help prepare you for creating or updating your resumé.
- Login to My Career through your Student Portal. Revisit your career goal and identify the top 3-5 skills or qualifications that make you a strong candidate for this career/position.
- If you already have a resumé: Use the resumé resources and sample resumés to update your resumé and target the industry or occupation you are seeking.
- If you do not have a resumé: Use the resumé resources and this resumé template to develop an initial resumé, and target the resumé to the industry or occupation you are seeking.
- List your career goal and three to five key skills or qualifications that make you a strong candidate for this career or position.
- Share three specific changes that you made to your resumé that helped emphasize your selected skills or qualifications.
Your paper should be a minimum of two to three pages in length, excluding the title and reference pages, and formatted according to APA guidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.