Week 1 – Discussion 1
Your initial discussion thread is due on Day 3 (Thursday) and you have until Day 7 (Monday) to respond to your classmates. Your grade will reflect both the quality of your initial post and the depth of your responses. Reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Formulating a Career Plan
Knowing which career you want to pursue is an important first step in tackling your job search and career goals. Simply identifying an ideal position will not propel you to achieve these goals. In order to successfully attain your goals, there are recommended action steps for you to take.
For this discussion you will explore the requirements for your potential career path, assess your current skill set, and identify what action steps you can take to make your career goals more attainable. Prior to participating in this discussion:
- Read the Career Planning Step-by-Step article to better understand the importance of developing a clear career plan.
- Watch the Resources for Developing an Effective Career Plan webinar.
- Review the Roadmap to Success: an interactive tool to help you gather information which you may wish to include in your career plan.
In your initial post:
- Identify your long-term goals. Where would you like to be one to five years from now? What is the industry and role you would like to pursue for your career?
- Explore the skills and qualifications related to this type of role. What qualifications do you already possess? What new skills, knowledge, certifications, or trainings might you need to be successful?
- Identify the additional action steps you will need to take to be more qualified for the position you would like to pursue. Be sure to set reasonable deadlines for each action step.
- Reflect on your available resources. What barriers do you need to overcome to be successful? Identify individuals in your personal or professional network who may be able to help you. How can you engage others to assist with your career plans?
Guided Response: Respond to at least two of your peers. Provide feedback to two peer’s career plan and at least one suggestion to further assist your colleague in tackling his or her career plan by Day 7. Your three required posts must be on three different days of the week.