Week 2 – Assignment 2
Clinical Quality Assessment/Improvement
Select a diagnostic or procedural topic relevant to patient care that would be suitable for a quality assessment and improvement project. Prepare a three- to four-page paper in which you:
- Define the purpose or focus of the assessment process. (Ask: What are we trying to accomplish?)
- Identify/develop at least four key indicators or parameters (performance measures) for the selected topic that provide data to support the purpose or focus of the assessment process. (Ask: What will tell us that a change is an improvement?) Use resources on this topic to help decide which indicators to use. Indicators may include, but are not limited to:
- Admission criteria/suggested population
- Continued-stay review criteria
- History of illness
- Lab values
- Symptomatology/indications for the disease or procedure
- Vital signs
- Ongoing monitoring
- Length of stay
- Type of treatment
- Complications/management of care
- Management (for example, of therapy or education)
- Discharge planning
Your paper must:
- Be three- to four-pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages and charts and graphs) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Include references for a minimum of three scholarly sources published within the past three years, in addition to your textbook.
- Include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Include a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.